Sunday, April 18, 2010

Just checkin'

Well I've never blogged anything in my life (that was worth a crap) so here I go! Let's see if it works. :) The website I use the most for food-making is allrecipes.com. One of the recipes I utilize a lot is Black beans and Rice, which is delish, and everyone reading this blog can eat it, woot! I usually dice up a few jalapenos and cook them with the rice. The second time I made it, I put too many in there and had to drown it in sour cream to eat it. In the reviews on the site, many people added other things (can of tomatoes, more cumin, garlic powder, whatev). The recipe says it serves 10. Guess it depends how hungry you are.

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium, low fat vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained
Directions
  1. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
  2. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices and black beans.

3 comments:

  1. yummy. when i got off my mish, i tried to replicate the black beans i had eaten for the previous two years. the closest i got was a packet of minute rice and a can of black beans. for fun id throw in a tablespoon of red pepper flakes.

    this sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it! Let me know what you think! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're trying this tonight...i'll let you know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete