Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chewy Congo Bars

For Father's Day I was to provide a dessert. After eating some congo bars at Annie's I was cravin some congos, but I haven't been able to find my moomy munker's recipe book for ages. I went ahead and checked out allrecipes for something that sounded good and this one came up. It's always a scary thing to try a recipe for the first time. I didn't know how they would turn out, but I must say...these were delicious. If you prefer a cakey congo bar over a chewy one I would stick to the classic moom recipe. If not try this.

Ingredients

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips (you can use dark or semisweet if you prefer)
1 cup chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Melt butter, stir in Brown sugar. Let cool.
  3. Beat in all 3 eggs
  4. Add dry ingredients
  5. Add chocolate chips, nuts, and vanilla
  6. Pour into 10"x15" pan and bake for 30 min.

These were very good. The original recipe called for 2 cups of chocolate chips. If you are a little intense in your love for chocolate you can try it out, but we all agreed that 1-1/2 cups was more than plenty.

1 comment:

  1. trying these out tonight...they'd better be good...

    ReplyDelete