Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Creamy Tomato Pasta

Alright, I thought I'd better finally get on here and add something. I found this recipe in one of my Cook's Illustrated Annuals, so I initially attempted it for D & J and it turned out well, but there were a few things that I thought might be nice to adjust to my personal taste. So, I tried it again for Brett and Meesh and I must say, those few minor tweaks made this great recipe into a spectacular one. This one can be easily made at least vegetarian by leaving out the prosciutto.

This sauce is best served with short pasta, such as ziti, penne, or fusilli.

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ounce proscuitto, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 small onion, diced fine (about 3/4 cup)
1 bay leaf
Pinch red pepper flakes
Table salt
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I added an extra tablespoon to make the sauce a little more tomato-y)
2 ounces oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, rinsed, patted dry, and chopped course (about 3 tablespoons- I made these pretty generous tablespoons since I'm a huge fan of sun-dried tomatoes)
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons crushed tomatoes
1 pound pasta (I ended up using only about 3/4 of the box of pasta since I like it pretty saucy)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Grated Parmesan cheese


  1. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add prosciutto, onion, bay leaf, pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft and beginning to turn light gold, 8 to 12 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly darkened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup wine and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 miutes.
  2. Add 2 cups crushed tomatoes and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened (spoon should leave trail when dragged through sauce), 25 to 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil. Add pasta and 1 tablesoon salt and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water; drain pasta and transfer back to cooking pot.
  4. Remove bay leaf from sauce and discard. Stir cream, and remaining 2 tablespoons crushed tomatoes; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add sauce to cooked pasta, adjusting consistency with up to 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Stir in basil and serve immediately, passing Parmesan separately.

1 comment:

  1. I don't see how you changed anything from the original. I prepared it yesterday and it was the bomb!

    ReplyDelete